Friday, February 4, 2011

Confusing Korea : Apartment Edition

So I live in a tiny, tiny, tiny little studio apartment in Bundang Korea. While living in Korea the past 11 months has caused me to be very confused on many occasions, this is a special post dedicated to the confusion that my tiny, tiny, tiny apartment brings.

                                                     Exhibit A :

This is on the middle of my living/bed/dining room wall. The small black square is actually a video camera, so when the doorbell rings (which is does to the tune of Fur Elise) you can see who is outside your door. However, you have to know exactly which of these buttons to push to get the song and the video to stop. In my case it usually leads to frantic button pushing, accompanied by yelling "Hello! Don't go away! I see you! I'm coming!!!!"

Exhibit B:

This lovely picture is attached to something that opens (I can only assume this because there is a button to push there on the bottom). But alas, it does not open. It seems to be jammed or glued shut. I'm afraid if I try to open it I'll come face to face with the peeping Tom I'm convinced is living next door, so needless to say it stays shut. 

Exhibit C:

Again, assuming that anything remotely makes sense in this country, I would have to guess this big red arrow is probably telling me where the fire extinguisher is....or is supposed to be. 

Exhibit D:

Ahhh....the space saver/kitchen counter top washer combo. Nothing like fryin' eggs while throwin' in my whites. Don't even get me started on the insanity of these buttons. Trial and error is what's gotten me through this year. Although there have been numerous times where I have opened the washer door, to find my clothes soaking wet in two inches of water. And no dryer to boot!

Exhibit E:

And this little gem is in my bathroom, directly to the right if you were to be sitting on the toilet. I can't even begin to tell you what this does or what it's for. I only know that it brings me a lot of anxiety when I'm trying to do my business, in fear of hitting the damn thing with my elbow and thus setting off some sort of alarm signaling the fire department to come. 


I have managed to figure everything out in my apartment to successfully live in it for a year. But I'm not gonna lie about how much I miss my dryer at home! 

No comments: