Thursday, May 6, 2010

Searching for hope from Korea

I've been meaning to post for a few weeks now. I've been in Korea almost a month, and there is so much to say and so much to reflect on. I have had too many ideas, too many posts, and it has been difficult to narrow down which ones I want to write about.

However today, this post, has absolutely nothing to do with Korea. This is about home. I've never really identified with a "home" because I have been constantly moving around for as far back as I can remember. But when people ask me where I'm from, I say Colorado. Colorado is the place that feels most like home to me. I go back to Colorado and recognize things, I recognize people. I can recognize the way my family was, and how our life used to be when we all lived there together. I see restaurants we visited, schools I attended, and houses we lived in. We will always have a home in Colorado, we will always go back to Colorado. In Colorado there will always be a "we", and that's why I cling to it so much.

I also have a best friend from Colorado. And today it saddens me from the darkest part of my heart to find a single sentence message in my inbox from him. Today, the only mail I have opened is this mail. Today, the only thing I have thought about is this sentence. Today I weep for my best friend, I weep for his family, I weep for my hometown.  I cannot get the words, the sentence, the sound of my best friends voice out of my head. Today everything stops in Korea.  Everything stops in Colorado.

Today, "something terrible happened, we lost my brother."

No comments: