Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"It's as slippery as an Eel!"


** Many of you have asked me how my life is going since arriving in South Korea. Well, I dedicate this post to the things I can check off my "Korean Checklist" now that I'm here. Many of you also know that I love making lists. And I'm about to seriously love me some Korea.

- Survive a 13 hour plane ride next to a very large, bald, white man who oddly resembles Hulk Hogan? Check. 

- Successfully meet up with a man named Mr. Kim, who would eventually drive me to my school the first day? Check. (But seriously, Mr. Kim...in Korea? That was like BEING the needle in the haystack full of hundreds of Korean men named Mr. Kim.)

- Cursing myself for not bringing a winter coat because naturally, April = Spring, but rather finding in the land of Korea April = Snow? Check. 

- Finding the coolest bar ever with all the Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Oasis, Tom Waits and much more records on file? Check. 

- Participating in a scavenger hunt consisting of hundreds of foreigners + insanity? Check.

- Having a group member put his arm in a live eel tank, grab the eel out, and slap another one of our team members in the face? Double check. 

- Get a tattoo? Check

- Fall in love with the cute Korean boy who works at Dunkin Donuts because he gives me a perfect latte every morning, and he doesn't speak English that often, but when he does...it's perfect. Check. 

- Watch Jonathan Lapham bust out a huge piece of cardboard in the middle of a busy intersection and attempt to break dance? Check.

- Meet tons of new people who I know will rock out in Korea with me the next year? Check.

- Successfully catching a nasty head cold within a week of arriving? Check. Attempting to ask the pharmacist for throat losengers but being rather certain I received mints instead? Check. 

- Attempting, (but only succeeding with one or two), to teach my students to pronounce the "L" sound instead of the "R" sound? Check.

-Being extremely happy with where I am right now? Check. Check. And Check.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! What a great post. I am so glad you have reached your destination and that you are happy there. What an exciting journey so far. I am currently teaching at a school for dyslexics and I am taking a grad course on the finest rules of the English language. This weekend we spent time on the "l" and the "r". Apparently that's a difficult sound in the English language. I can't wait to read more about your journeys!
Blessings!
Carrie