Friday, March 18, 2011

Korea vs. America

I've been home for a few weeks now, although it seems like a lot longer! I have been so busy since being home, it seems as though I was never even in Asia! It's a weird feeling. But I do miss SOME things (emphasis on SOME because I ain't gonna lie...it's good to be back baby!) about Korea. And now I will tell the two people that actually read my blog what they are. :)

Things I miss about Korea :

1. The mandu lady...or at least the lady that cooks the yummy, delicious, mandu that I ate literally 4 times a week when I lived there. It was so cheap, so good, and so quick. The lady was always very nice, even when we went in a highly compromised state at 4am, and asked for mandu to go, then proceeded to sit down at a table and eat it.

2. Living alone. I don't know if I'll ever live alone again. Honestly! I think I'm too scared to live alone in America! It's more than hard staying with my parents right now, when I move to NYC (cross your fingers!) I'll have a wonderful roommate, and then in the future with my beard sportin', plaid shirt wearin', guitar playin', delicious food makin', smokin' hot babe of a hubby.

3. Glee nights. Yes I know I can have Glee nights here in America, but still, that was a highlight of the week. And I don't care who ya are, if you don't like Glee, you simply don't like to laugh and smile, and have a good time.

4. Trains, planes, and automobiles. It is true, getting around in America is much harder than in other countries and cities. I miss the ease of the subway and buses. And also the insane people who sell the most random shit in the subways, always a good time.

5. Being oblivious. I was clueless all the time in Korea. I could tune out everything around me, and be perfectly content. I couldn't understand the people around me, nor did I care. It seems very loud here because I can understand everything everyone says. And eavesdropping isn't what it used to be!

6. A job (although stressful at times) that I could go to in the morning, leave at 5pm, and not think about it another minute.

7. Occasionally I miss one or two (I repeat, ONE or TWO) of my kids. Mostly I miss Daniel and his adorable obsession with Michael Jackson.

8. I miss random nights, that go on for all hours of the night, long into the wee hours of the morning. Only the best of things, and the worst of things happened on those nights out.

9.  Fruit stands. So much delicious, in season fruit all the time. SO GOOD.

10. Tea days, tea nights, tea everything. Just getting together with the girls over tea, and gossiping through the night.

Things I love about America:

1. Coffee with cream in the mornings. You can't get cream in Korea, and I missed it like NO other while I was there.

2. The calm, quiet, mornings. Who ever said 'Land of the Morning Calm' was a LIAR. Because it is never quiet in Korea. Never. I love waking up with my window open, or taking a walk late a night, and having it be so calm and wonderful.

3. Sandwiches. I love sandwiches more than I love anything. You can't beat the sandwiches here...anywhere in the states. You just can't.

4. BBQin' outside on a gorgeous Spring/Summer day.

5. Bathtubs.

6. The Today Show. Okay okay, I know I can watch it online from anywhere. But I miss my morning routine of coffee and the Today Show on the tube.

7. Cute white boys.

8. Target. Who doesn't love Target?

9. Paula Deen. Who doesn't love butter?

10. The music. The music scene, the artists, the way it makes me feel. All of it. Especially some good ass bluegrass, folk, banjo music. And listening to a good ol' southern band called Old Crow Medicine Show, is one of my favorite things to do. It just makes me so damn happy! I saw them once in Tennessee, and I'll never forget it.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,you crack me up! Coffee without cream is a tragedy! I'm happy to read you are settling back into the states. Paula, boys, music, and target are all good things to be re-acquainted with. I know quite a few good-looking bearded Ashevillian men who I was on the river with this weekend (unfortunately they are pretty nomadic and noncommittal).
Blessings,
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Oh-take a listen to Trampled by Turtles...you may like them.
Carrie

The Dreamer said...

Aw Carrie! I love that you're still reading! I would LOVE to come visit you sometime though, I've heard wonderful things about Ashevillian men. And you know how I love beards. I could handle a nomad..but am so over the noncommittal child-men. :)

I will definitely listen to Trampled by Turtles. That really was a great Old Crow's show wasn't it?!

You should check out Great Lake Swimmers (specifically Your Rocky Spine).

Unknown said...

my mandu count has significantly lowered since ur departure. Daniel cracking his new teacher up with his michael renditions too. teacher 'mariah' still copying and laminating like her life depends on it. have a cup of tea and am downloading glee. and counting the days till i'm home for the holiday. same same ;) x