Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Birthday Smirthday

So....yesterday was my birthday. Yep. The big 26. Which basically means I'm 30 because anything past 25 might as well be 30. I can tell you one thing, my body, my face, my well being is starting to feel more like a 30 year old. My crows feet, sagging skin, irritability is flying through the roof. I kid I kid, I'm in phenomenal shape, I love botox, and I owe my winning personality to finally getting out of Korea and working on moving to NYC baby!

Okay, all jokes aside, birthdays kinda suck as you get older eh? When I was younger it was like the second best day after Christmas. I would be counting down the day, so excited I could barely sleep. I would wake up and my mom would make her traditional french toast, and we would do whatever I wanted the rest of the day. I could do whatever I wanted because I was "the birthday girl", and nothing trumps the birthday girl.

The absolute best birthday I have ever had was my sweet sixteen. I remember being so bummed out because all day nothing "big" had happened. It seemed innocently enough, like just another day. My high school boyfriend was out of town on a baseball trip, and I didn't have many plans with my friends either. Around 3 or 4 o'clock, I got a call from one of my best friends asking if I wanted to head to the mall to help her look for a dress for an upcoming wedding she was attending. Reluctantly I said yes, it's not like I was doing anything else more interesting besides turning 16.

On the drive home, I received a call from my house. Assuming it was my mom, I picked up. But it was another friend of mine asking if I wanted to come over to her house for a sleepover. I was confused because the caller ID said my house, but it was my friend not my mom. I told her I would be over after I went home to gather some belongings. We pulled up to my house and all the lights were off. I didn't think much of it except for the fact that my mom was standing outside waiting for me. I asked her what the hell was going on, and she told me to come inside for a second. I go inside and the first thing I see is a HUGE like 10 foot long subway sandwich. Right away I knew this was going to be a night to remember. It's no secret, that sandwiches and myself, are quite fond of one another. Anyway, inching my way closer inside I turn the corner of our living room, and I see a sea of people yelling "SURPRISE!". The surprising part aside, my mom had called the local radio station, and got a DJ to come and set up a music/dance floor in the far corner of our living room. It was amazing! I had all my friends there, (some I wasn't even friends with haha), a live DJ, sandwiches, my boyfriend who was "supposedly out of town". It was honestly a great surprise, and I was thrilled with the spectacle.

The second, and close runner up was my 21st. Which involved shots starting at 10am, champagne and debauchery throughout the day, and a classy finish of 'Sexy Alligators' (which I'm fairly certain had Jagger in them, and they did not make me feel nor look sexy). It was amazing. And the term coined by my roommates at the time 'Katipalooza' will live on forever in good memories.

However, yesterday, was just yesterday. I suppose I can't expect every birthday to live up to those standards, but when you've had them it's hard not to compare. But it was nice as it could be for # 26. And the last year was just what I needed and just what I wanted for my 25th year in life. I saw things I never thought I'd see. I met people and did things I never though I would. And I made some great goals and decisions professionally and personally.

One thing that is so amazing about my life, is that each year it is drastically different than before. And I like it like that. Last year I was in Korea, the year before that Boston, and this year NYC. I like moving around, and I like doing different things. This year is all about friends, family, and being fabulous!

Here's to another crazy year! #26! Cheers!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy belated birthday friend! I am aware of Great Lake Swimmers! I was introduced to them in Minnesota. Fun Band! I hope you are happy and well. It sounds like you have quite another adventure in your future (NYC). I spent some time this week up in Boone, NC...lots of cuties there as well :)! You have a place to stay in NC if your ever in this part of the country!!!
Blessings and love,
Carrie
Keep the band suggestions coming...I need some new music.

Vanitas said...

Hey Kid,
An uber-belated birthday to ya! And you're no 3-0... just saying. And hurry up and get to NYC, because then Sammi might come and visit more often (not likely).
A kiss and a hug.
Jacqui