Sunday, January 30, 2011

Who Says?

I was chatting with a friend earlier today at the gym, and couldn't quite describe to her the funk I  am in, in terms of my gym time. For the past two weeks or so, my workouts have been drab, and missing that certain surge of adrenaline. I can't really seem to figure out what it is, if I need to up my weights, change my diet, up my gym time. It has been driving me crazy, and I think it's been affecting other parts of my life right now (or vice versa).

It has been one year exactly since my last surgery, and in roughly one month time I will be leaving Korea and moving on. Isn't it crazy how much can change in a year? I think Asia was and has been the best choice for me for the last year, but I will not be sad to see it go! It has definitely been a struggle culturally and socially. But individually I have learned and grown so much (I know, gag me right?), I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

I don't think I have ever been as comfortable or confident in the person I am since being in Korea. Korea has showed me the type of person I want to be, the person I am, and the person I have been. It has shown me limits in all kinds of respects, my limits and the limits of others.

This week I only work two days (thank the Lord), and have a five day weekend due to the Lunar New Year. Not only will I be sleeping approximately 22 hours a day, it will give me a break from teaching. I'm not so sure I want to be a teacher after this experience, and that's okay with me. In fact if anything, not liking teaching has showed me exactly what I do want to pursue. I think the challenges I have had getting back into shape, and having my body go through so much change, has re-sparked my interest in fitness. I have always been very interested and mildly obsessed with working out and nutrition. Having gone through so many struggles physically, I think I am more aware of the struggles of every type of person out there.

I think everyone can relate to how hard it can be to get healthy, stay healthy, and be in shape. It is a different journey for everyone, and I'd like to be apart of people's journey. Things happen in life. We travel and it sets our health off a bit. We poison our bodies with junk food, and think there is no way back. We run our bodies in the ground thinking the more we work out the better. We take pills, we have surgery, we do drastic things to change our bodies. If I can help just one person get back to a healthy life-style after whatever they have been through, then I want to be a part of that.

I hope in a few months, in a year from now, I will be re-reading this post and be where I want to be in terms of my goals. I want to travel a lot, I want to do personal training, I want to be in the best shape I can be in, and I want to help others do the same. I want to do it all. I want to take more photographs, I want to go to more art exhibits, I want to do everything on my resolutions list and more. I want to do anything I want, everything I want, all the time.

Who says I can't, right?

No comments: