Saturday, January 22, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside



It's like -500 billion degrees outside today. Literally. I can't take this weather anymore! I am sitting here in my freezing apartment with a hat, gloves, a sweatshirt, and a blanket while I wait ever so patiently for my apartment to warm up. That will take approximately 4 hours.

When I'm walking to and from work, up hill both ways, I seem to be the only person fazed by the insanity of how cold it is. I think Koreans have a different kind of skin, that allows them to not sweat when it's 1000% humidity outside, or get cold when it feels like Antarctica. They just simply do not get cold. The women are still wearing mini-skirts for Pete’s sake! I don't think I'll ever get over the fashion here in Korea. The women are still sporting the good ol' fashion mini-skirt and some tights. They don't wear hats, they don't wear gloves, and they STILL wear high heels!

My co-worker told me that this weekend was supposed to be warmer than usual. Warmer? Warmer than cold as shit? Cold is cold. I don't care what the temperature says, it's COLD. It is actually kind of sad how the novelty of winter and cold weather wears off in a matter of 2.5 days. At first everyone is ecstatic that it's snowing, we get to wear scarves, we get to walk around with hot chocolate mugs in our hands. Then everyone realizes how much it sucks when you're risking your life walking to work on black ice, or freezing your tush off while waiting for the bus. 

The only thing that makes winter a little better here, is my South African friend. Who has seen snow once in her life before coming to Korea. She still gets ubber excited about snow, and tries to convince the rest of us how awesome it is. The response to her excitement is usually met with groans like "yea yea yea, you’ll get it over it come mid February". But I have to admit the other night it started snowing, and we decided to run around our neighborhood trying to catch snowflakes on our tongues. It was fun. It reminded me of how fun winter and snow can be. 

I think about all my friends on the East Coast, and how bad the weather and storms have been this winter. Especially since I'll be moving there next year, it makes me kind of cringe. When I lived in Boston before, I came straight from Honolulu to Boston on January 1st, and it was quite the change. But I loved it. Sometimes you gotta just roll with the punches, get your boots on and go make a snow angel, open your mouth wide and catch some snowflakes. 

....Because baby it's cold outside. 


And because I love Christmas, I love Glee, and I heart my gays...here's a treat. :)





2 comments:

SammiRae said...

i want to make a snow angel :(

The Dreamer said...

And I want to lay on the beach in my bikini! Lets switch places!

P.S- Think Boston, except instead of surrounded by white people...you're surrounded by Koreans. WEIRD. Maybe you should just make a sand angel instead. :)