Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kids Say The Darndest Things

Me: Okay everybody turn the page to letter Z!
Students: Letter J!

Me: No, not letter J, letter Z! Z-z-z-zzzzz
Students: J-j-j-jjjjj

Me: Okay lets try a picture. What's the first picture of?
Students: Zebra!

Me: Good! Okay what's the second picture of?
Students: Jew!

Me: I'm sorry what?
Students: J-j-jewwwww!

Me: Um no. The second picture is of a ZOO! Z-z-zoooooo
Students: J-j-jewwwwww

Me: No. Listen to teacher. Watch my mouth.

---> Student raises his hand.


Me: Yes? Can you tell me what the second picture is?
Student: Teacher, Jews are dirty and stinky.

Me: Ay dios mios.  I give up.

3 comments:

SammiRae said...

OMG dude...

The Dreamer said...

P.S - Although I don't know the racial attitudes that Koreans feel towards Jewish people, I'm fairly certain the child was referring to Zoos. He thinks zoos are dirty and stinky, but they pronounce the "z" like a "j". It's bizarre. I was shocked when I heard it, couldn't believe it came out of the kids mouth. How could he possible know what a Jew was? Although you never know in this country....

Anonymous said...

My favorite Korea story to date.