Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dear Mom


Dear Mom,

   I truly believe that almost half a persons character and personality is due to the way they were brought up, the nurturing (or lack thereof) by their parents, and just their parents existence in general. I believe I get my creative, organized and calm (don't laugh) side from dad. And just in the last few weeks, I've come to realize just exactly what I've gotten from you. 

  I want to thank you for teaching me to be an individual. I want to thank you for teaching me to be a strong-minded woman, and never apologizing for it. I appreciate the encouragement to do whatever I want to do in life, whether it involves going to graduate school or leaving everything and everyone behind to travel the world. 

 I thank you for letting me know I have a place in this world. To know that I can be critical, and that being critical is not always a negative thing.  Two things can happen to a person in this world: they can either let the world swallow them whole, or they can take the world into their own two hands and make whatever the hell they want their existence to be. 

 Being a white woman in Korea has taught me a lot about myself. I have realized how strong my character is, and how this is perceived by others. You have taught me to embrace this perception, and to not be embarrassed by it. I'm opinionated, loud, judgmental when I feel strongly about something, compassionate when something moves me, and critical of others but mostly of myself.

  At the end of the day it's all about being able to look yourself in the mirror, being able to wake up and feel that I am true to myself. From you I have learned that while our past still haunts us, it does not become the person we are on a day-to-day basis. 

 Thank you for being the one person I can rely on, and the one person who never gives up on me. It is from you that I have the courage to keep moving forward, to keep setting these wild almost unattainable goals for myself, and to always, always, always stand up for my beliefs. 

 If I had to pick just one thing I am thankful for, I am thankful that I am your daughter. 

Love always,

K


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sit here after reading this posting from you, my beautiful, strong, wonderful daughter with tears in my eyes and joy in my heart. I feel grateful and very loved.

Thank you.

Proud To Be Your Mother Always,
Mom