Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Waiting Game


In order to travel, let alone work, in another country requires quite a bit of preparation, patience, and .... waiting.

I have been applying for some jobs to teach English in South Korea, and it has not been an easy task. Well lets just say the getting the job part is easier than actually being legal for that job. One of the requirements to be hired for a school and receive a Visa, is to have a criminal background check. Which, depending on the state you're in while applying, can be the easiest or the hardest part of applying.

Unlucky for me, it has been the hardest. And it is even harder because I was actually offered that job that asked me all those odd questions about my tattoos. So now the waiting game becomes cruicial because I have signed a contract, and have a deadline. I sent in my criminal background check about 2 months ago, and still don't have it back yet. I need to have all my documents to Korea by the 20th of January. So....I'm getting a little nervous.

I'm praying that by some act of kindness in the "system", the FBI will send my clearance my way this week and I'll have all my documents ready for Korea and can start the Visa process.

If this happens then I will start my new job in South Korea on March 3rd, and be leaving the states a week before! I cannot wait! Then 2010 will be full of adventures all over Asia.

In the meantime I wait. And wait. And wait....


3 comments:

scott said...

might as well get in a last trip to somerville while you're waiting. i mean it only makes sense, huh.

The Dreamer said...

I wish!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Davis Square and Somerville...and of course all of YOU guys there! Wish I were still there, or New York. After my world adventure I'll come back to the East Coast. Promise! You better still be there!

scott said...

i will be kickin it in the california surf, sorry. this is your last chance!