Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Nachos Anyone?


So. Since the last time I posted (still trying to get used to keeping up with the actual writing of the blog), I have been brain-storming like crazy. A world tour?! By myself?! It's going to take a lot of preparation and planning on my part. BUT, I do have a solution and a first destination.

Korea.

Yep. If you know me you're probably wondering..."Kate, YOU are going to ASIA?" Yeah yeah yeah, we all know I lived on Oahu for quite some time and was a little..."confused" you could say with the Asian culture at times.

But Korea seems like the perfect place to start to see the world, not to mention a great place to earn a living as a foreigner to save up for the rest of my journey. I owe a lot of this spark of excitement to my good friend Nacho. Don't ask about the name, just accept it. Love it. Roll with it.

I will have to elaborate on this Mission Korea plan a lot in the next few postings. But for now I am so overwhelmed with the amount of paper work and documents I need to collect in order to obtain a Visa to even be allowed in Korea. I apparently need my college diploma (am I sure I graduated?!)...well I can't be too sure because I can't seem to find my actual diploma. You know, the real one. Not the fake piece of paper they give you while you walk across the stage. SO, if I can't find my real one I have to order a replacement. Which could take up to 10-14 weeks the girl told me at UH. And if I know Hawaiian Time....it just ain't gonna be anywhere near 10-14 weeks. So I'm a little worried about that.

My time frame is February and/or March of next year to actually be in Korea working. So yes, that does give me about 3-4 months. However, with the ordering of the diploma and the criminal background check that takes weeks as well, I just hope I can get it all done. And done right. If it's anything like the Visa I had to obtain to study in Spain...whew....I'm in for the long hall of frustrating phone calls, angry emails, and dis functional faxes.

Nacho and I went to high school together back in Eureka. He's been living in Korea now for over a year, and loves it. It's kind of cheating because he's half Korean, but hey, gotta take advantage of those roots. But he has successfully sold a great allusion to life in Korea. Count me in!

I have a plan. I have a first destination. I have a time frame. And I have Nacho. That's all I need to get this kick ass World Adventure started.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I obviously love the idea. However, when you come to Korea, leave Nacho in the States. Over here I am so grown up...

Unknown said...

ooo I love the new picture on the blog lady! (p.s. sorry that this comment has nothing to do with the post above, I don't really get blogs and couldnt figure out where to leave a general comment)